Text Size

September 2019

Redwood City Señors Softball Club

Minutes for September 5, 2019 Board of Directors Meeting

The September 2019 meeting was called to order at 7:05 PM by President, Dennis Logie. Board members present were Dennis, Steve Bowerman, Pete Lewis, Pat Michael, Bill Picht, Angelo Rizzato, and Hiro Tarumi. Absent members: Rick Bowlby and Dave Reck

AGENDA ITEMS:

1. The August 2019 Board of Directors Meeting Minutes were reviewed and approved. Minutes are sent to all Directors, posted to the Club website, and sent to Donna O’Farrell for historical recording.

2. The August 2019 Treasurer’s Report was reviewed and approved as submitted by Treasurer, Angelo Rizzato. One minor error was pointed out but otherwise nothing of any significance was noted.

3. Club Banner for fences – Day Play has returned to Red Morton and is hanging the banners on some of the fences. Once they get Carabiner fasteners, they will leave the banners hanging overnight. Night Play has a banner they hang at Hawes Park for Monday night games.

4. One Pitch Tournament – Pete reported the tournament had the most ever players and guests. Teams were better balanced and overall, everyone was satisfied and had a good time. There were a few lessons learned that will be useful next year. Team selection needs to make sure there are enough outfielders on each team. Need to limit warmup pitches to 1 pitch. Install the flip-flop rule where if the home team is behind in the 7th inning, they take their turn at bat at the top of the inning. Although there was enough food bought for more than the expected crowd, some of the food items ran out. Next year, we will make it clearer to specify the exact number of guests that will attend. Consider having a field marshal at each field to umpire and keep the game moving. The raffle was a success with a record number of tickets sold. Pete will try and hold the number of teams to 8 next year. Nine teams present problems.

5. Club recognition of Redwood City – postponed

6. John Pinkerton update – John was not at the tournament as expected but Barry Lewis was there. Barry looked good and says he intends to play in October.

7. Fall Night League – Pete says the league started August 26 at Hawes. Pete reported that Highlands Park in San Carlos where the Night Spring League is, will be getting new lights.

8. Emergency Numbers for players – Pat presented a form that showed Day and Night players with spaces to put in names and numbers of emergency contacts. The forms will be brought to the fields soon.

9. Trimming of the Snack Shack – The shack at Bechet was emptied of things that were not needed with the hope the City would haul them away. Instead, they were put back in the shack. The Club was able to work around it for the 1 Pitch and again will talk to Eric Newby about getting rid of 2 BBQs, a large cooler, and other things.

10. Holiday Party – Pat filled in for Pete Kutch, who is on travel. Pat said the party this year will be December 7 at the VMSC, where it was held for several years before going to San Carlos. The VMSC Director offered us the dining hall at a reduced rate. Catering will be The Carvery at Harry’s. Invitations will go out in October.

11. Saturday Play – There is a shortage of teams this year for Saturday Play. The Board has a few creative ideas to have enough teams. The plan is to start November 16. Dennis will look into field availability at Hawes.

12. Tournament 2020 – Dennis will talk to Eric Newby about fields for June 27-28. Bill Picht will talk to the NCSSA to make sure we can have those dates.

13. Day Play and One Pitch incidents – The Board is not happy about incidents that occurred at Day Play and the 1 Pitch. Individuals involved will be reprimanded as warranted.

14. Carl Woodruff – Carl has retired from softball and the Club is planning a retirement ceremony. Tentative plans are for October 10 at Harry’s

15. Website – Pat provided Pete a few updates for the Club website. The Board needs to update their website picture.

The meeting adjourned at 9:25 PM. The next monthly Board Meeting is scheduled for Thursday October 10, 2019

Minutes submitted by Pat Michael, Club Secretary