Text Size

May 2019

Redwood City Señors Softball Club

Minutes for May 2, 2019 Board of Directors Meeting

The May 2019 meeting was called to order at 7:00 PM by President, Dennis Logie. Board members present were Dennis, Rick Bowlby, Pete Lewis, Pat Michael, Bill Picht, Angelo Rizzato, and Hiro Tarumi. Absent members: Dave Reck and Steve Bowerman.

AGENDA ITEMS:

1. The April 2019 Board of Directors Meeting Minutes were reviewed and approved. Minutes are sent to all Directors, posted to the Club website, and sent to Donna O’Farrell for historical recording.

2. The April 2019 Treasurer’s Report was reviewed and approved as submitted by Treasurer, Angelo Rizzato. The two new pitching screens have been added to the inventory.

3. Highlands Park availability for Summer Day Play – the Club will lose the use of Red Morton fields beginning in June. Highlands field in San Carlos is not available. Hawes Park field is being used by other groups but might be available some days during the week. Hoover School field is being returfed until late June or mid July. Dennis will check with Eric Newby on Hawes availability and about the Marlin fields at Redwood Shores.

4. August 17-18 Tournament Prizes and Porta-Potties - Bill reported that Bob Elwood will get the field permits and provide the scorecards. Applying for liability insurance is in work. Umpires are being reserved. 1st place awards will be sports vests with the Club logo for the four bracket winners. Windbreakers, mugs, shirts, gift certificates, and returning the entry fee were all discussed but a sleeveless sports vest was decided on. Griffin and McGarvey fields are without restrooms. Bill has investigated porta-potties and will order one handicapped unit per field at the cost of $300 each for the weekend. That includes delivery, pickup, and supplies. Pat will update the critique form and welcome letter.

5. Ice Packs – Pat was able to bring a new box of ice packs to Bechet. He will order a fresh supply.

6. Club Shirts for 2019 – Pete provided a draft order form to hand out at the fields. He will update the form and provide to Day and Night Play.

7. Spring Night League – Pete reports the turnouts have been good with 22-25 showing up even with competition some nights with the Warriors, Giants, or Sharks games. The soccer players have finally learned to stay off the softball field so as not to get hit with a fly ball.

8. Emergency Numbers for Players – The Board would like to have an emergency contact available for each player in case one is needed. Pat will generate a form that players, at their option, can fill out.

9. Club Banners for Fences – There are groups that advertise their contact information on large banners placed on the fences around the Red Morton fields. The Club would like to do the same. Dennis will check with the City if it is OK.

10. Categories for annual ‘best’ volunteer award – no longer an agenda item.

11. Trimming of the Snack shack – The Bechet Snack Shack is full of stuff that appears unusable. Dennis will try and get the three user organizations together and decide what to keep and what to throw out. They are RWC Seňor Softball, Jr 49ers, and Juventus, a local youth soccer club.

12. Round Table – Rick reported that Jeff Barile might have a defibrillator to replace the one that was stolen. Dennis will check with Eric to see if the City was going to replace it. Rick asked Pete to update the website with dates for the Tournament, 1 Pitch, and San Jose Giants outing. Rick reminded the Board that it needs to buy new softballs for the women players. Hiro will take care of it. Hiro suggested we come up with a rule that prevents the elder players from striking out. A new Day Play rule will be created to say that any player over 80 cannot strike out on a foul ball.

The meeting adjourned at 8:55 PM.

The next monthly Board Meeting is scheduled for Thursday June 6, 2019

Minutes submitted by Pat Michael, Club Secretary