Text Size

June 2019

Redwood City Señors Softball Club

Minutes for June 6, 2019 Board of Directors Meeting

The June 2019 meeting was called to order at 7:05 PM by President, Dennis Logie. Board members present were Dennis, Steve Bowerman, Rick Bowlby, Pete Lewis, Pat Michael, Bill Picht, Dave Reck, and Hiro Tarumi. Absent member: Angelo Rizzato. Guest: Sergio Ramirez


1. The May 2019 Board of Directors Meeting Minutes were reviewed and approved. Minutes are sent to all Directors, posted to the Club website, and sent to Donna O’Farrell for historical recording.

2. The May 2019 Treasurer’s Report was reviewed and approved as submitted by Treasurer, Angelo Rizzato. Nothing of any significance was noted.

3. Club Banner for fences – The Club noticed large banners hanging from the fences at Red Morton advertising the Juventus Youth Soccer Club. Dennis approached the city about the possibility the Club can likewise hang banners advertising the Seňors Softball Club. The city said banners can be hung but for a limited time. Sergio is in the printing business and investigated the price of making banners. The Board would like 6 banners of at least 4 ½ by 2 ½ feet. Sergio will look further into the pricing.

4. August 17-18 Tournament - Bill reported that 2 Porta-Potties have been ordered. They will be ADA handicapped size, i.e. about 40 sq. ft. and placed at the Griffin and McGarvey fields. The $300 each rental fee includes delivery, pickup, paper, and hand sanitizer. The Club will need to get locks to secure the Porta-Potties at night. Rick looked into prize options and navy-blue lightweight sport jackets, almost a vest, will be ordered for the 4 bracket winning teams.

5. Giants Night at San Jose – Pat will update the flyer/signup form and bring to Day Play and send to Pete for Night Play. The event date is July 18 and promises a fun evening for $25.

6. One-Pitch leadership – This fun event with be September 2 on Labor Day. Pete has offered to again manage the event. The Vintage Senior Softball Club in San Jose is doing their own version of a one-pitch on August 3 and for a fee, anyone can play. The Board is reluctant to advertise this event until more information is available.

7. Day Play rule change for 80+ - Allowing players that are 80+ to not foul out has been used in Day Play for a month. It is popular with the players and will now be an official rule. Pat will update the Rule Books and ask Pete to update the Club Website

8. Club Shirts for 2019 – Pete has orders for approximately 35 shirts. That order will be the last one this year.

9. Spring Night League – Pete reports things are going well with 20+ players showing up allowing for a 2-team format. Soccer players interference has not been a problem.

10. Emergency Numbers for Players – Pat generated a form for members to fill out giving their name and emergency contact information. Pat will resend the form for Board review.

11. Tax returns – Angelo was absent but submitted a note that Federal and State taxes have been filed for 2018. Trimming of the Snack Shack – Plans are for a July meeting with Eric Newby and Board members to get rid of several items in the Bechet Snack Shack that appear to be junk. The Junior 49ers and Juventus are the other organizations that use the Snack Shack, mainly for storage.

12. Round Table – Sergio brought a 27” Combat to the meeting. The bat is from Turn Two and they are donating it to the Club. Hiro will try it out at Friday Batting Practice and bring it to Day Play as a Club bat. Sergio has designed and developed a scorebook tailored to softball. It allows enough space for multiple entries and is good for 100 games. He is looking to get visibility for it on the Club Website and the NCSSA Website. Bill will let the Board know about the NCSSA Website. The Bechet shed needs to be cleaned up. Hiro will look into it. Day Play will shift to Hawes Field beginning June 11.

The meeting adjourned at 9:03 PM.

The next monthly Board Meeting is scheduled for Thursday July 11, 2019

Minutes submitted by Pat Michael, Club Secretary