Text Size

August 2019

Redwood City Señors Softball Club

Minutes for August 7, 2019 Board of Directors Meeting

The August 2019 meeting was called to order at 7:09 PM by President, Dennis Logie. Board members present were Dennis, Steve Bowerman, Rick Bowlby, Pete Lewis, Pat Michael, Bill Picht, Dave Reck, Angelo Rizzato, and Hiro Tarumi.

AGENDA ITEMS:

1. The July 2019 Board of Directors Meeting Minutes were reviewed and approved. Minutes are sent to all Directors, posted to the Club website, and sent to Donna O’Farrell for historical recording.

2. The July 2019 Treasurer’s Report was reviewed and approved as submitted by Treasurer, Angelo Rizzato. Nothing of any significance was noted.

3. Club Banner for fences – Sergio Ramirez has provided banners to be hung at playing fields for promotional purposes. Night Play hangs a banner up each week and takes it down for storage until the following week. Day Play is at Hoover and is not hanging the banner. When it returns to Red Morton, they will hang it.

4. August 17-18 Tournament – The tournament has been cancelled this year due to lack of team signups. Bill is taking all the steps necessary for closeout. He is in contact with Don weaver to get our insurance payment refunded. He has about 120 Baden softballs and will have to find a way to dispose of them since they will not be used next year when the NCSSA goes to a new softball. The flashlights to be handed out to each tournament participant, will be used for the 1 Pitch and next year’s tournament. The Club feels it deserves a tournament date in June or July since this tournament is the only one on this side of the Bay and it is the only tournament we sponsor. Dennis will approach Eric Newby to secure a June/July date, preferably June 27-28. Jerry Marsh make numerous phone calls to managers trying to get signups for the tournament. Jerry did a terrific job although no managers committed.

5. Giants Night at San Jose – From more than a hundred attendees 3 years ago, attendance has gone steadily down for this fun evening. This year, only 32 members and guests attended. Angelo floated the idea about having a SF Giants event using busses and purchasing group tickets or maybe a San Jose Giants day game to avoid the traffic. Angelo preordered 50 tickets but the Giants only charged us for 32.

6. Spring Night League – Pete reports the league has one week left. San Carlos is installing new lights so the field will not be available. The Fall Night League will start August 26 or September 9 at Hawes Park.

7. Club Shirts for 2019 – Pete handed out the 30 shirts that were ordered. 2020 will be the next order.

8. Club Recognition of RWC – Pat mentioned the new Hoover Field looks terrific but the benches in the dugouts are in sad disrepair. He suggests the Club buy and install new benches in appreciation to the City. Dennis said the City might have to use their union contractors to replace the benches. He will ask Eric.

9. John Pinkerton – Pat would like the Club to recognize John for all he has done for the Club and in consideration of the bad turn of events in his life. The Board is considering some type of presentation at the 1-Pitch.

10. Fall Saturday League – Start date is planned for November 16. Pete will talk to Eric about field availability.

11. One Pitch Tournament – Pete has stuffed all the envelopes and mailed or handed them out. 41 were sent to persons who were members in 2018 but haven’t paid their 2019 dues. They are invited to play once the dues have been paid. There might be 5 younger teams and 4 older. Bill will see about getting porta-potties for Griffin and McGarvey Fields. Pat has several raffle items and Angelo will get gift certificates. Pete and Pat will be Field Marshalls. Turn 2 has volunteered to set up and tear down. Angelo has organized the help with the snack shack and the cooking and will get all the food, ice, etc. The menu will be hot dogs, polish dogs, sausages, chips, soda, and ice cream. Team formation will be August 26.

12. Emergency Numbers for Players – Pat asked to present the new form next month.

13. Trimming of the Snack Shack – The meeting with Eric Newby and Board members to get rid of several items in the Bechet Snack Shack that appear to be junk is scheduled for August 20 right after the Tuesday Day Play.

14. Round Table –San Jose 1 Pitch was attended by Steve and John Hampel. There were 65 players and with 8 teams, there was a bucket to pull names from for the teams that were not playing. Dave suggested that the Club have a pot luck for Carl Woodruff who has retired. Hiro reports the 2nd screen for Batting Practice is working. Don Hirotsu helps a lot especially moving Day Play supplies from field to field. Hiro reimbursed him for his expenses and buys him lunch. Hiro says Hoover Field is full of deep dents where the ball hits. Steve says someone dragged something across Highland Field and left a large groove. A couple of Night players got into a heated discussion and let it continue much too long. This is not a good impression for any of our members especially new players. Sponsored Teams this year will be Chiefs, Blues, Turn 2, and Gold Rush. Applications must be submitted before the Club gives them their stipend. Angelo has given his P.O. Box key to Pete Lewis for 1 Pitch replies and eventually it will be passed on to Pete Kutch for the Holiday Party. Pat also has a key.

The meeting adjourned at 9:30 PM. The next monthly Board Meeting is scheduled for Thursday September 5, 2019

Minutes submitted by Pat Michael, Club Secretary