Text Size

May 2018

Redwood City Señors Softball Club

Minutes for May 3, 2018 Board of Directors Meeting

The May 2018 meeting was called to order at 7:05 PM by President, Dennis Logie. Board members present were Dennis, Steve Bowerman, Rick Bowlby, Pete Lewis, Pat Michael, Bill Picht, Dave Reck, Angelo Rizzato, and Hiro Tarumi.

AGENDA ITEMS:

1. The April 2018 Board of Directors Meeting Minutes were approved as written. Minutes are sent to all Directors, posted to the Club website, and sent to Donna O’Farrell for historical recording.

2. The April 2018 Treasurer’s Report was approved as submitted by Treasurer, Angelo Rizzato. The report showed tournament entry fees and new and renew membership fees received.

3. Insurance Report – Bill talked to Don Wever, the NCSSA Treasurer, about the Club’s insurance requirements. While we received a request to buy a USA Softball of Northern California adult softball insurance policy, Angelo explained that we do not need it. We get our liability insurance through the NCSSA/SSUSA organizations. Each member of the Club is insured once we submit team names and team managers. For insurance purposes, the Club is split into 3 major groups: 3 Night League teams, 4 Day Play teams, and 5 Tournament teams. This insurance costs $16 per team which is significantly less than what we paid last year.

4. Tuesday nights at San Carlos – The Spring Season continues with a large number of players showing up. While this is good, only one field to play on presents a problem, with teams having up to 13 players each. Historically a 2nd game to follow the 7:00 game usually has a lower number of players so the Night Play commissioners are avoiding a 2nd game. The Drop In format being used is highly favored by the players. New players continue to show up and Pete says that 50+ players on city teams will often join the Club. Pete is still waiting to hear from San Carlos if Highlands will be available for Day Play Summer games

5. Club Shirts – Pete presented images of 2 shirts to consider for the official 2018 Club shirt. One shirt is a mesh wicking and the other is a standard wicking. The Board voted to go with the mesh wicking shirt mainly due to its snag resistant material and its multicolor design. Pete will post an email to the Club membership to take orders.

6. Club Tournament – Pat covered several issues with the tournament:

• Awards – Pat asked the Board to consider a wind breaker jacket instead of duffel bags for 1st place awards. The Board liked the idea and Pat will talk to Mark Kaufmann about the availability and cost.

• Parking at Bechet will be restricted all year due to the new parking lot being fenced off so it can be used as a staging area during the construction of the new Magical Bridge Playground.

• Strike Mats – Sergio Ramirez will make ¼ inch rubber mats for the Club. The Club needs 2 mats for Day Play, 1 mat for Night Play, and 4 mats for the Tournament.

• So far 5 teams have signed up – Turn Two 50, Bay Area Tide 60, No Dice 65, Cal Stixx 70, Gold Rush 75. Pat will contact other managers to incentivize them to register their teams.

• Snacks – Pat has arranged with the VMSC to provide snacks for all fields. Anna Carlos will run the snack shack at Bechet and make sure there are snacks at Hawes.

• Safety - Pat will purchase ice bags and first aid kits for all fields.

7. 1 and 1 Rule Changes – Rick brought up the suggestion last month to start Day Play batters with a 1 and 1 count. Hiro, a Day Play Commissioner, will ask the Day Play coaches to decide before each game whether to go with a starting 1 and 1 count or the normal 4 ball and 3 strike count. The 1 and 1 count, will allow 1 extra foul ball.

8. San Jose Giants – Angelo has reserved 50 tickets for the July 25 event. He is negotiating with the stadium to have Club members participate in the Blackjack game and the Chip Shot Golf entertainment. Cost this year is $27 but the Club will sell tickets to members and guests for $25, which includes game, dinner, beverage, and a beer discount.

9. Shed Investigation – Dennis is still waiting for Eric Newby, the Red Morton Manager, to get back to him about placing a 20’ x 12’ shed near Griffin Field. Eric was going to talk to Chris Beth, the Parks and Rec Manager.

10. Round Table - Bob Cushman wants the NCSSA to post videos he has produced honoring past members. Bill Picht will talk to the NCSSA webmaster. Sponsored teams will need to participate in 5 sanctioned tournaments including the RWC Tournament in order to receive their subsidized payment.

Meeting was adjourned at 8:39 PM

The next monthly Board Meeting is scheduled for Thursday June 7, 2018.

Respectfully submitted by Pat Michael, Club Secretary