Redwood City Señors Softball Club
Minutes for February 8, 2018 Board of Directors Meeting
The February 2018 meeting was called to order at 7:15 PM by Dennis Logie, President. Board members present were Dennis, Steve Bowerman, Pete Lewis, Pat Michael, Dave Reck, Angelo Rizzato, and Hiro Tarumi.
Absent: Rick Bowlby and Bill Picht.
1. The 2018 Annual Membership Meeting Minutes
and the January 2018 Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
were approved as written. Minutes are sent to all Directors, posted to the Club website, and sent to Donna O’Farrell for historical recording.
2. The January 2018 Treasurer’s Report
was approved as submitted by Treasurer, Angelo Rizzato. Angelo reports that it was a quiet month with very little to report.
3. Club Tournament Director
– Jerry Marsh, who coordinated the 2017 Club Tournament, is unable to do much of the prep work for the tournament now scheduled for July 7-8. Pat Michael has agreed to be the Tournament Director.
4. Day Play issues:
• Relay Rule
- The 1 month experiment to not have a relay rule for 70+ Day Players has been generally accepted. However, because of a concern that older players will be denied getting on base after a base hit, the Board decided to change the current Day Play rule to 75+. The rule will now read that a 75+ hitter cannot be thrown out at first base by an outfielder or rover without a relay.
• Stop Batting Practice (BP) at 10 AM
– There is a concern that if BP goes too long it will cause the game to end too late for some players. There will be an increased emphasis at Day Play to limit the number of pitches batters get at BP and for players that arrive after 9:45, they might not get to participate in BP.
• Waiving rules for 80s
– There will be no rule exceptions for 80+ players other than already specified in the official Day Play rules.
5. Umpire Ron
– Ron has not been at Day Play or Saturday games for about 3 weeks. Bob Cushman was concerned so he drove by Ron’s house and everything seemed to be in order. The weather has been good so maybe Ron is just taking a break. If he does return, he will be subject to the ultimatum Hiro explained to him regarding his hygiene.
6. 501(c)(3) potential
- Barry Lewis was not present but is looking into the possibility of the Club becoming a 501(c)(3), which is mainly for charitable organizations. We are currently a 501(c)(4) which is for social welfare organizations.
7. Night and Saturday League
s – Both leagues are going well. Night League is experiencing low turnout with less than 20 players showing up but they are creatively forming 5x5x5 games and 8x8 games sometimes with a 2 pitch limit. There are only 3 weeks left for Saturday play. There has only been 1 rainout this season making up for the numerous rainouts last year.
8. Club Shed
– Dennis will continue to ask the City for an available space where the Club can place a 12 x 20 foot shed.
9. Round Table
– Steve says it is time to renew our agreement with the Interservice Club Coordinating Counsel. Essentially we get to hang our Club logo on 2 of the RWC Gateway signs for an annual fee of $16. Hiro emphasized that a Home Plate Umpire should not overrule a Base Coach on calls that the Base Coach is responsible for. Pete reports that the Website has been down for some search engines. The Website should be back up as soon as it gets moved to a new server. Pete says that used game balls should be held aside as backup game balls and not be thrown in with BP balls. Pete says in March we will discuss Club shirts with the intention to have them by May. Angelo reports that he has a request for 6 blue hats for the Chiefs but needs 18 more to fill an order. It was decided to order 18 additional blue hats with a red bill. Pete will talk to San Carlos about field availability starting March 13 or 20 for the upcoming Spring Season. Pete will also inquire about using the San Carlos fields for Summer Day Play versus going to Hoover.
Meeting was adjourned at 9:10 PM
The next monthly Board Meeting is scheduled for Thursday March 1, 2018.
Respectfully submitted by Pat Michael, Club Secretary