Text Size

April 2018

Redwood City Señors Softball Club

Minutes for April 5, 2018 Board of Directors Meeting

The April 2018 meeting was called to order at 7:04 PM by Vice-President, Steve Bowerman. Dennis Logie, President, joined the meeting a few minutes later. Board members present were Dennis, Steve, Rick Bowlby, Pete Lewis, Pat Michael, Bill Picht, Dave Reck, Angelo Rizzato, and Hiro Tarumi.

AGENDA ITEMS:

1. The March 2018 Board of Directors Meeting Minutes were approved as written. Minutes are sent to all Directors, posted to the Club website, and sent to Donna O’Farrell for historical recording.

2. The March 2018 Treasurer’s Report was approved as submitted by Treasurer, Angelo Rizzato. The report showed 22 paid memberships in March.

3. 501(c) 3 potential – This item is closed due to the difficulty of changing the Club’s IRS classification from a social welfare one to a charitable one.

4. Tax Returns 2017 – Angelo reports that the Club’s 2017 tax return has been filed.

5. Insurance Report – Angelo reports that he needs further clarification on the new NCSSA tournament insurance policy. We currently have a group wide policy that covers all Club members including Day Play, Night Play, and sponsored tournament teams. It is not clear if all venues are covered and what the exact cost will be. Angelo and Bill will talk to the NCSSA tax consultant, Don Wever.

6. Umpire Ron – No change from last month. Ron has not been seen for weeks.

7. Tuesday nights at San Carlos – The Spring Season that started on March 13 has seen around 26 players show up. Not quite enough for 3 teams and too many for 2 but Pete reports the league is working it out. New players continue to show up. Pete suggests there are city teams where older players can be recruited to join the Club. At a Rules Meeting, it was decided to require either the screen or a mask for all pitchers. NCSSA requires a mask and shin guards. Pete inquired if Highlands would be available for Day Play Summer games and San Carlos told him probably not but will let him know for sure later. Pete might experiment with the batter calling an illegal pitch if the batter has to explain why he/she didn’t swing at a flat pitch.

8. Club Shirts – Pete was not able to find a shirt that met the Board’s desire of a wicking mesh (versus smooth), 2 button, Navy blue, and men’s or women’s style shirt. He will talk to Mark Kaufmann since there is an identical shirt previously made for a team.

9. Club Member Inspirations – A Club member asked if a group of inspirational pictures and sayings could be shared with the Club membership. Not wanting to start a precedent and since the pictures/sayings were not softball related, the Board opted to not share it. However, the Club member that proposed it is welcome to make copies and hand out or post the material at the field.

10. Potential Rule Changes – Rick brought up several ideas to consider for Day Play rule changes:

• Batting Practice (BP) should stop at 10 AM regardless of who has not batted yet.

• Pitch count for each batter should start with 1 ball 1 strike.

• A batted ball hitting the screen should be a strike.

• Have the scoring runner update the scoreboard.

• On a 3 ball count, allow the batter to bat until a strike is thrown.

While the Board agrees some of these will speed up the game, there doesn’t seem to be a significant time problem at Day Play especially if BP pitchers are reminded to limit pitches and the whistle is used. However, Hiro will introduce the 1-1 count at Day Play on an experimental basis or use it as-needed.

11. Our Shed Investigation – Dennis talked to Eric Newby, the Red Morton Manager about placing a 20’ x 12’ shed near Griffin Field. Eric gulped and did say he would ask Chris Beth, the RWC Parks and Rec Director.

12. Club Tournament – Pat had a several questions regarding the July 7-8 tournament: • Awards – the Board decided to have duffel bags. They have been highly regarded in the past. • Screens – Need one for each of the 4 fields. Looks like we have enough. • Strike Mats – The ones we have are shabby looking. Pat will shop around for new ones. • Hawes Park Snacks – If Hawes is used for the tournament, we need to get ideas on how to get snacks there. • Hotels – Similar to what Jerry Marsh did last year, Pat will try and get reduced hotel rates and send out a notice to the managers who might need overnight accommodations.

13. Round Table – Angelo has been in contact with the San Jose Giants regarding this year’s outing. It was decided to attend the July 25, Wednesday game. The price will be the same for Club members at $25 each.

The refrigerator in the Griffin shed is broken. Bill says he might have one to donate.

The Dick St. Denny birthday pot luck to recognize the oldest active member is on schedule for Thursday April 12 or the next dry Thursday.

Pat says a San Mateo Daily Journal reporter was at Day Play on Thursday to interview players and take pictures. He will attend the Thursday pot luck for more information and an article will soon appear in the Journal.

Meeting was adjourned at 9:03 PM

The next monthly Board Meeting is scheduled for Thursday May 3, 2018.

Respectfully submitted by Pat Michael, Club Secretary