Text Size

September 2017

Redwood City Señors Softball Club

Minutes for September 7, 2017 Board of Directors Meeting

The September 2017 meeting was called to order at 7:03 PM by Dennis Logie, President. Board members present were Dennis, Steve Bowerman, Pete Lewis, Pat Michael, Bill Picht, Dave Reck, Angelo Rizzato, and Hiro Tarumi. Absent: Rob Weiss. Guest: Pete Kutch

AGENDA ITEMS:

1. The August 2017 Board Meeting Minutes were approved as written. Minutes are sent to all Directors, posted to the Club website, and sent to Donna O’Farrell for historical recording.

2. The August 2017 Treasurer’s Report was approved as submitted by Treasurer, Angelo Rizzato. The report showed significant donations to the Club in memory of Howard Patridge.

3. Holiday Party – Pete Kutch, the Holiday Party Coordinator, had a recent party committee meeting and it was decided to have the same caterer as last year for this year’s catering. The price will be slightly higher. Invites are scheduled to be distributed the third week of October. Pete is starting to collect auction and raffle items.

4. Club Income Taxes – Angelo has everything put together for this year’s Federal taxes, to be filed by Sep 15.

5. One Pitch Tournament – The event was a success with 230 attendees. The National League (older) ended up in a 3 way tie for first and the American League (younger) games were all close. There was plenty of food and ice cream. The National League games did run late but it wasn’t a big problem. A variety of raffle items were given away.

6. Update on NorCal and Club tournaments – Bill talked to Fran Dowling, who is working on the NCSSA 2018 tournament schedule, about the dates for the Cal Cup, CAN-Sirs, and Western Nationals tournaments. With Cal Cup late June, Western Nationals July 24-25, Reno late May, and CAN-Sirs undecided, our Club tournament, normally the 4th weekend in June might move to a more ideal date. Dennis will check with RWC for field availability and Bill will stay in touch with NCSSA so that our desired dates are submitted in time.

7. Club Shirts – Angelo reports that the new order for shirts is at 15. We need at least 24 for an order to be submitted. The new shirts will retain the same look as the previous order. In 2018, the Club will consider a new design.

8. Night League – The Fall Season starts next Monday, Sep 11, at Hawes Park at 7:00 PM.

9. Señors Games – Dennis is again coordinating the annual Señors Games to be held at Bechet Field on September 21-22. Sign-ups are ongoing with Club members allowed to compete in up to 4 events. Dennis will look into renting Ole Sparkie from Terry Whitfield or see if a pitching machine is available elsewhere.

10. Club BBQ – Instead of buying a new BBQ for the 1 Pitch Tournament, Angelo brought his own to the event. There was not enough need for the Club to buy one and access to the snack shack where it would be stored is too widespread.

11. Square Dancing – Mo Hosoda has offered to give square dance lessons to Club members. Mo is a certified caller and would need a venue for the classes. The Board decided it was more an offer that the Veterans Memorial Senior Center (VMSC) might entertain. Dennis or Pat will contact Bruce Utecht at the VMSC.

12. Day Play Small Softballs – Currently a small softball is used for the women players at Day Play but the ones we have are getting old. The Club will look into having a new supply of them and not having to borrow from the RWC supply. Day Play will use new small balls as needed.

13. Day Play Rules – It was decided that the Day Play rule regarding the 75+ batter/double play is OK as written.

14. Round Table – Pat suggested we make the members aware of the Club logo posted at the entrances of Redwood City. Steve suggested the Club have a storage shed built where we can store the Club’s supplies. As a contractor, Steve can help implement the construction. Pete will call Mo to see if he can put together another scoreboard from the parts we have. Angelo was given a bunch of memorabilia from Mike Vigo’s family. He will talk to Bob Cushman about converting it to digital. Dennis announced the passing of Dean Perkins.

Meeting was adjourned at 9:33 P.M.

The next monthly Board Meeting is scheduled for Thursday October 5, 2017.

Respectfully submitted by Pat Michael, Club Secretary Enter minutes here