Redwood City Señors Softball Club
Minutes for June 6, 2016 Board of Directors Meeting
The June 2016 meeting was called to order at 7:04 PM by Dennis Logie, President. Other Board members present: Steve Bowerman; Pete Lewis, Pat Michael, Bill Picht, Dave Reck, Angelo Rizzato, Hiro Tarumi, and Rob Weiss.
Guests: Pete Kutch and Jerry Marsh
AGENDA ITEMS COVERED:
1. The May 2016 Board Meeting Minutes
were approved as written. Minutes are sent to all Directors, posted to the Club website, and sent to Donna O’Farrell for historical recording.
2. The May 2016 Treasurer’s Report
was approved as submitted by Treasurer, Angelo Rizzato.
3. 2016 Holiday Party Update
– Guest Pete Kutch confirmed the date of this year’s party will be December 10, 2016. He has narrowed the choice of venues and caterers down to two. The Veterans Memorial Senior Center (VMSC) has been the location of the party for the past several years but the San Carlos Adult Community Center offers a venue and catering that costs significantly less than the VMSC and last year’s caterer. The Board agreed to have Pete go with San Carlos.
4. June Tournament Discussion
– Tournament Director, Jerry Marsh, reported that 25 teams have signed up with the expectancy of 4-5 more teams. Thursday/Friday games will be 5 older teams at Bechet and Griffin Fields. Saturday and Sunday games will have 4 brackets accommodating 24 teams. Bill is coordinating the umpires, Angelo will look for someone to run the snack shack, and Bob Elwood is making up much of the paper forms. Jerry reports that he has received a good response for volunteers. All games will be at Red Morton. There will be an emphasis to keep the games on time.
5. San Jose Giants update
– Angelo has been in contact with the SJ Giants and once again they are welcoming us with a ticket package for the game, dinner, and beverage. We will be sitting behind home plate with reserved seating. Club member and oldest active player at 92, Dick St Denny, will be throwing out the 1st pitch. Gates open at 6 PM.
6. Scoreboard update –
The Club logo on the Red Morton scoreboards is quite small. A Club member who is a printer will make up a larger logo that can be applied to the scoreboards. Dennis will confirm with Redwood City Parks and Rec that the larger logo is OK.
7. Night Play Update
– Steve reports that a Craig’s List ad has resulted in 4 potential new Club members for Night Play. The league is playing 7:00 games but might go to 7 and 8:15 games. Lighting at The Highlands is in need of adjustment. San Carlos put in portable lights in right field and they help. The Club purchased a new lock for the lock box.
8. Thank You Gift for San Carlos
9. Round Table
– Steve says the Club logo now graces 2 Redwood City entrances on El Camino Real. Bill reminded the Board that we will soon need a 1 pitch director for the Labor Day tournament. Hiro says there is now an electronic scoreboard at Mc Garvey. Hiro will need the key for the snack shack to get into the freezer for tournament ice. He also discussed the Day Play rule that does not allow an outfielder to throw out a 70 year old at 1st base. The Board decided to leave it as is. Rob saw ex Board member Lee Thompson and he is doing well. Angelo reported that we will be paying the sponsored teams their subsidy after the June tournament. Pete reports that there are no warning signs about the risk of flying softballs at The Highlands in San Carlos. Maybe the Club will get them some.
Meeting was adjourned at 8:52 PM.
Next monthly Board meeting will be Thursday July 7, 2016.
Respectfully submitted by Pat Michael, Club Secretary