Redwood City Señors Softball Club
Minutes for August 17, 2016 Board of Directors Meeting
The August 2016 meeting was called to order at 7:08 PM by Dennis Logie, President. Other Board members present: Steve Bowerman, Pete Lewis, Pat Michael, Dave Reck, Angelo Rizzato, Hiro Tarumi, and Rob Weiss.
Absent: Bill Picht
AGENDA ITEMS COVERED:
1. The July 2016 Board Meeting Minutes
were approved as written. Minutes are sent to all Directors, posted to the Club website, and sent to Donna O’Farrell for historical recording.
2. The July 2016 Treasurer’s Report
was approved as submitted by Treasurer, Angelo Rizzato.
3. Update on 1 Pitch Tournament
– Hiro is managing the tournament and has volunteers that will help out with the many duties that need to be done. The Turn Two tournament team has agreed to stay and clean up after the event. Invites have been mailed to all members and the return rate is high. We expect a good turnout. Once we get a count of attendees, Angelo will purchase all the food items, i.e. hot dogs, buns, condiments, napkins, soda, water, chips, etc. Dennis Esaki and Ron Okada have volunteered to manage the raffle during the event. A group of 4 Board members will select teams and managers after the filled in invites have been received. Pete will post the teams on the website and managers will be notified who is on their team.
4. One Pitch Rules
– Pete sent out a copy of the rules for review. Several changes were suggested and Pete will update them. There were no significant changes from last year’s rules.
5. Logo for Scoreboards and Backstops
– Scoreboard discussion was postponed. Pat mentioned that he peeled off the old and deteriorating stick-on logos at Griffin and Bechet backstops and put on new ones.
6. Night Play Update
– The Tuesday Night League at the San Carlos Highlands Field had its last game on August 15. Monday nights at Hawes will officially start September 12. Hawes is available on August 22 and 29 for practice games. There was an unfortunate incident with a soccer team last Monday when the soccer team had the wrong field but didn’t want to move off the softball field. Pete diplomatically took care of the situation.
7. John Pinkerton
– John is at Stanford in serious condition after having his lower leg removed. Calls are OK but no visitors yet.
8. DJ Equipment
– Pat reports that the Club still has audio equipment in storage that is no longer used and is probably out of date. Pat will attempt to sell on Craig’s List.
9. 2015 Tax Returns
– Angelo reports that the 2015 IRS and State taxes have been filed. No payment was due.
10. New Member no-show Update
– Dennis contacted a member to see if she was going to continue with the Club since she hasn’t shown up in months after signing up several months ago. He is still waiting for a return call.
11. Field Availability Update
– All Red Morton fields are available for Day Play to resume on August 23 and for the 1 Pitch tournament on Labor Day, September 5.
12. Batting Cage Status
– The new batting cages at Red Morton do not have a slow pitch machine and the City does not have any plans to put one in. Little League is the exclusive user of the batting cages.
13. Thank You Gift for San Carlos
– Still looking into with Gordon Bell.
14. Round Table
– Pat reported how appreciative the Redwood City girls’ 10 B Wicked softball team was with the donations Day Play members made for their trip to the Western Regional Tournament in Oregon. The Club was their largest contributor. Steve suggested the Club look into raising the right field fence at Griffin. He will get an estimate and the Club will approach the City about the feasibility. Angelo said one of the tournament critique forms expressed a concern about the Griffin left and the Bechet right outfields playing back to back. One player got hit in the back during the June tournament.
Meeting was adjourned at 9:20 PM.
Next monthly Board meeting is scheduled for Thursday September 1, 2016.
Respectfully submitted by Pat Michael, Club Secretary