Redwood City Señors Softball Club
Minutes for September 11, 2014 Board of Directors Meeting
The September 2014 meeting was called to order by Steve Bowerman, acting President at 7:05 PM. Members present: Steve, Pete Lewis, Pat Michael, Bill Picht, and Angelo Rizzato. Absent members were Dennis Logie, Dave Reck, Hiro Tarumi, and Lee Thompson. Guest was Bob Elwood.
AGENDA ITEMS COVERED:
1. The July 2014 Board Meeting Minutes were approved as submitted. There was no August minutes since the meeting was canceled. Minutes are sent to all Directors, posted to the website, and sent to Donna O’Farrell for historical recording.
2. The August 2014 Treasurer’s Report was approved as submitted by the Treasurer, Angelo Rizzato. Angelo is still trying to get a complete picture of our resources and inventory. He will inventory the shed at Bechet; Pat will call Joe Bozzuto to see what he has in his garage and give Angelo a list of the speaker components that are in storage. Angelo would also like to know the value of each item, whether it is our cost or the cost of replacement if any.
3. Levi Stadium excursion – A group of 46 members and their quests visited the new 49er stadium on August 20 for a tour and a visit of the museum. They each paid $25 for the 80 minute tour and museum visit and had a great time.
4. Fall Night League update – Commishes Pete, Angelo, and Steve report that the draft was last Monday, there are 50 signups (so far), have placed 12+ on each of the 4 teams, and the 1st game is Monday, September 15 at Hawes Park. Rich, the City groundskeeper, is rehabbing from knee surgery and might need a helper to work the field. The Club pays Rich a fixed weekly fee of $40 to prepare the field. The Club also pays for the umpire.
5. Saturday League – The Board is hoping that Hiro and Dean Perkins again manage the Saturday League. Tentative start date is November 15 to run through February 2015. This was based on the last Pleasanton tournament in November and the start of the tournament season in 2015. The plan to change the criteria for Saturday play from only 60+ to any member, is going forward knowing there will be complications. Pat will draft a letter for Board review to introduce the new Saturday League structure. Once the Board gets a response to the letter from the membership, they can work any problems that appear.
6. Board Member Nominees for 2015 – With the possibility of 1-2 openings on the Board next year, nominees will be solicited from the membership. The 5 members present all said they intended to return. At the October Board meeting, the absent members will be polled on their intentions. Pat will prepare a Request for Nominations letter.
7. New Website status – The site is close to a formal roll out with a letter to all members. Pete says there is a site option for members to have their own log in capability. Once logged in, members can have access to areas not available to the public or in some instances, other members. Some ideas were to have a Want Ad or a Member Skill section.
8. Day Play behavior – Pat reported an instance at Day Play that might result in a player reprimand. Proper conduct in general was discussed with the possibility of reminding players of the Club’s Code of Conduct.
9. New Member with limited skills – Pat reported being approached by a spectator who was interested in playing Day Play. After observing his playing ability, it was determined he was unable to be on the field without jeopardizing his safety, however he was offered an opportunity to keep score and will be given an application to be a member.
10. Approval of RWC Blues and Subsidy – Angelo reported the Blues team has all paid members and the sponsored teams (5) have been subsidized the $600.
11. Holiday Party update – Pat reported that everything is on schedule for December 6. He got approval from the Board to raise the fee to $40. The cost of catering has gone up the past few years. Pat also asked the Board to donate any raffle or auction items they might have.
12. Board Duties discussion – not covered.
13. Round Table – Bob Elwood says the Red Morton fields might be redone next year or the year after. Bob also wanted to know if any decision has been made for a Club sign to be placed on each of the scoreboards; to be revisited next month. Bob says that Hawes is reserved for Winter Night play through February. Night Play will move to San Carlos for the summer. Bob floated the idea of having the RWC Tournament on just Thursday and Friday for 65+ teams to avoid the Griffin right field home run problem. Two or three tournaments will cover the same number of teams we currently have with Saturday and Sunday. The Board was concerned with the elimination of the younger teams and will discuss the issue at the October meeting. Bob will check with Eric to see if we can reserve the Griffin picnic area.
Meeting was adjourned at 9:05 PM. Next Board meeting will be on Thursday October 2, 2014.
Respectfully submitted by Pat Michael, Club Secretary