Minutes for November 6, 2014 Board of Directors Meeting
The November 2014 meeting was called to order by Dennis Logie, President, at 7:07 PM. Members present: Dennis, Steve Bowerman, Pete Lewis, Pat Michael, Bill Picht, Angelo Rizzato, and Lee Thompson. Absent members were Dave Reck and Hiro Tarumi. Guests were Dean Perkins and Bob Elwood.
AGENDA ITEMS COVERED:
1. The October 2014 Board Meeting Minutes were approved as submitted. Minutes are sent to all Directors, posted to the website, and sent to Donna O’Farrell for historical recording.
2. The October 2014 Treasurer’s Report was approved as submitted by the Treasurer, Angelo Rizzato. Angelo was happy to report that the Inventory of the Club’s assets has been completed and the details are in the Report. The Board will revisit the Inventory annually.
3. Saturday League – The Club has received responses to the Saturday League invitation sent out in October with a due date to respond by October 31, 2014. The League format will be 7 teams: Group A - 3 teams 55-65 years old and Group B - 4 teams 65-80 years old. Games will only be within each group and are scheduled to begin November 15 and run until February 21, 2015. Pete Lewis will publish the rules and provide them to the Commissioners, Dean Perkins and Hiro Tarumi. Dennis will contact RWC to reserve Hawes. Hiro is unavailable for several days so the Club will ask Bob Cushman to assist Dean Perkins in putting together the schedule. Bruce Barnes has volunteered to help out on Saturdays. The December 6 schedule might be shortened to accommodate those going to the Holiday party.
4. Glenn Kovas – A remembrance gathering will take place on Thursday noon, November 13 at Griffin Field to allow
Club members a chance to share stories and memories of Glenn. Glenn passed away October 27.
5. Fall Night League update – Commissioners Pete, Angelo, and Steve report that not enough players have been showing up for the 2nd game and have elected to go to a Drop-In structure beginning December 1. Players will sign in as they arrive and assigned individuals will form the teams. There will be one 9 inning game and the players will do their own umpiring. The League experimented with the pitching screen and is now using it for every game. Bob Elwood was asked to research and purchase a new screen so Hawes can have its own.
6. Board Member Nominees for 2015 – The Board is up for reelection next year with one member, Lee Thompson, not returning. A Request for Nominations letter was sent to all Club members asking for candidates for the 2015 Board but so far no names have been submitted. Members to the Board will be voted on at the Annual Meeting on January 8, 2015.
7. Annual Meeting Notice – Pat provided a draft letter announcing the Annual Membership Meeting to take place on January 8. The Notice will be sent on December 8 and will be accompanied by a reminder that the Annual Membership Fees are due.
8. Day Play Study – Bill has been collecting Day Play sign up forms for several months to see if there has been any drop off of players. He reports that the number of players signing up at Day Play has held steady and averages about 33 players on Tuesday and Thursday game days.
9. New Website Roll Out – A letter to all members was recently sent out to announce the formal roll out of the Club’s new website. Members and non-members can go to http://rwcseniorsoftball.org to visit the site.
10. Summer Tournament – A director is needed to work all the issues for next year’s Club tournament. Tentative date is June 25-28, 2015 but the fields have to be reserved and NCSSA has to be informed. Dennis and Bill will talk to RWC Parks and Rec to discuss issues that arose from this year’s tournament.
11. Holiday Party update – Pat reported that party plans are moving along and invitation replies are coming in.
12. Rain Line – The Club’s Rain Line is made available to NCSSA as a courtesy but it can get congested with players calling in to get the status of their game. It is preferable that only team captains call in.
13. The annual Most Improved Player Award will be re-titled to the Glenn Kovas Most Improved Player Award.
14. Round Table – Steve inquired with Kaiser Hospital if the Club could participate in their Grand Opening but the hospital informed Steve that they do not have a spot for us.
Meeting was adjourned at 9:28 PM. Next Board meeting will be on Thursday December 4, 2014.
Respectfully submitted by Pat Michael, Club Secretary