Text Size

March 2014

Redwood City Señors Softball Club

Minutes for March 6, 2014 Board of Directors Meeting

The March 2014 meeting was called to order by Dennis Logie, President at 7:10 PM. Members present: Dennis, Steve Bowerman, Pete Lewis, Pat Michael, Bill Picht, Angelo Rizzato, and Lee Thompson. Absent members were Dave Reck and Hiro Tarumi.

AGENDA ITEMS COVERED:

1. The February 2014 Board Meeting Minutes were reviewed and approved with a correction in paragraph 3 to read ‘for a to be determined number of teams’ versus ‘for four teams’. It was also pointed out that Hiro’s name is with an ‘i’ not an ‘e’. Minutes are sent to all Directors, Brenda Guzman for the website, and Donna O’Farrell for historical recording.

2. The February 2014 Treasurer’s Report was reviewed and approved as submitted by Treasurer, Angelo Rizzato. Angelo pointed out that he has received amounts greater than the $45 for annual dues from a few members. Dennis suggested that Angelo call them to see if they want to donate the excess or have it returned. Angelo says that by the end of May, he intends to have completed an Inventory Report. Angelo reported that the money market account does not accumulate much interest and the money might be better invested elsewhere, like a CD. He will research and report next month.

3. Tournament Director for June – Dennis talked to Dean Perkins and Dean is available to coordinate the tournament, scheduled for June 26-29. Bob Elwood will help out with the preparations. Pat will put together the volunteer list. Lee has volunteered to help out. We want to make sure that volunteers put in their time and not stick other volunteers with working long hours.

4. Commissioner for July 4th One Pitch – Ralph Mariucci has again volunteered to be the Commissioner but will need help. Bill will call Joe Kirby to get any tournament information he has on his computer. Steve has hard copy of last year’s tournament information.

5. Wednesday Day Play future – with Hiro and Dave missing, this item was put off until next month.

6. Saturday League recap – Hiro was not there to report but had previously sent out some ideas for improvements next year. Pete reiterated his request to have the Saturday League open to all ages.

7. Spring/Summer Night League – The season starts March 18. There are currently 46 signups with more expected soon. Pete will contact players from last year that haven’t signed up yet. The commissioners will divide up the teams on March 10. There is a new San Carlos coordinator, Matt Kamhi, who has drawn up a contract with us. The contract appears to be a good one. The league will again feature ASA umpires. There is a need for a lock box at the Highlands Field. San Carlos might have something for us but if not, we have a large bin at Griffin we can move.

8. Player request to be on a new team – A Club member posted a request on the Club website asking to be put on a new team. The Club will advise him to go to the NCSSA website where he can put his name in for teams with openings.

9. Recruitment of new members – Bill did some research based on Club enrollments since 2010 and it appears paid enrollments have been on a steady decline. Several recruitment ideas were discussed with further discussion put off until next month. Pat will draft a Craig’s List ad to advertise the Club and submit to the Board for review.

10. Documentation needed for membership – Pat suggested the requirement for new members to provide a copy of their driver’s license with the application, be relaxed to showing their license to a Board member for verification. Pat will draft up an Application revision to reflect the same and Lee will review it before submitting to the Board for approval. The requirement to pay $45 for annual dues even if one only plays a few weeks a year was discussed. It was decided to keep the requirement as is.

11. Round Table – Angelo will return $275 to Ron Ward for his Christmas Party Kiwi Boat bid. The Kiwi owner sold the boat and has offered to reimburse the Club and take Ron on a ride at the owner’s expense. Angelo wants to wrap up the Liability Insurance contract. After much discussion, it was decided to put in the names of 8 teams; 4 tournament teams and 4 Club teams. Pat mentioned that 3 players were injured in Thursday Day Play and we all need to be safety conscious. It was suggested we revisit a relationship with Kaiser Hospital and the Grand Opening this summer of its new facility on Veterans Boulevard might be a good time to have a presence.

Meeting was adjourned at 9:10 PM. Next Board meeting will be on April 3, 2014

Respectfully submitted by Pat Michael, Club Secretary