Minutes for July 17, 2014 Board of Directors Meeting
The July 2014 meeting was called to order by Dennis Logie, President at 7:10 PM. Members present: Dennis, Steve Bowerman, Dave Reck, Pete Lewis, Pat Michael, Bill Picht, Angelo Rizzato, Hiro Tarumi, and Lee Thompson.
Guests were Dean Perkins and Ralph Mariucci.
AGENDA ITEMS COVERED:
1. The June 2014 Board Meeting Minutes were approved as submitted. Comments to the June minutes by Lee were noted. Minutes are sent to all Directors, posted to the website, and sent to Donna O’Farrell for historical recording.
2. The June 2014 Treasurer’s Report was approved as submitted by the Treasurer, Angelo Rizzato. Angelo calculated that the cost of the recent tournament exceeded the revenue. Dean assured the Board that our fees are in line and the extra expense was due to the cost of the large number of 2nd place hats.
3. June Tournament – Dean, who was a co-director of the tournament, reported the tournament ran smooth but some of the games ran late. This is a potential problem with RWC Parks and Rec who maintains the schedule for the fields. Dennis will talk to the Red Morton Recreation Manager to assure him that our use of the fields during the tournament was consistent with our use permit. Pat supported Dean during the tournament and submitted a report that included the results of critiques from the team managers and suggestions on what to do for next year. Future discussion will focus on how to make the games shorter, steps needed to make the games safer, and methods to reduce costs.
4. Tournament Exhibition Teams – One team played their games as exhibition due to having too many players on their team that were not on their roster. Angelo raised a concern that a team playing exhibition should not have any control on how long the game should go if there is reason to shorten the game. It was pointed out that the Tournament Director has the authority to shorten games at any time. Currently a team can play exhibition one day and the next day play officially. Dean will attend the next NCSSA Board meeting and open a discussion regarding once a team is exhibition it is exhibition for the rest of the tournament.
5. July 4th 1-Pitch – Ralph, the 1-Pitch Tournament Commissioner, reported the 1-Pitch ran smooth although some of the games ran too long. He would like the Board find ways to speed up the games. Some of the game time was spent explaining the 1-pitch rules. Pete will draft up a detailed and clearer set of 1-Pitch Tournament rules for next year. This year’s 1-Pitch Tournament featured 98 players plus 182 guests and had costs that exceeded what the Club collected with raffle tickets. Ralph thanked Angelo, Bill, and Steve for all their help.
6. San Jose Giants Outing – On July 16, 68 members and their guests attended the San Jose Giants game that included a full BBQ dinner. This was the all time high of Club tickets sold for this fun event. Just a few years ago, the Club only had around 40 attendees. Angelo was the prime coordinator and he couldn’t have picked a better game with the SJ Giants defeating the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes AKA Dodgers 9-8 in extra innings.
7. Spring/Summer Night League - Pete reported that the Night League is preparing to transition to Hawes Field for the Fall season. The new season will have games on Mondays. The current season concludes on August 12 at the Highlands in San Carlos. Burton Park is not available as a San Carlos backup.
8. New Website – Pete reported that the website has been active since July 1 for all Board members. The official roll-out is expected any day. Pete says the new website is compatible with any computer and search engine. Those that have editing access will be restricted to content changes and not be able to change any of the source code
9. Approval of Sponsored Teams and Subsidy – Four teams have been officially approved for sponsorship; Royals, Chiefs, State Roofing, and the Cardinals. The Blues have been tentatively approved pending verification of everyone on their roster being Club members. Sponsored teams are allowed to add up to two players to their tournament roster without requiring them to join the Club. The subsidy for this year is $600 per sponsored team.
10. Board Duties Discussion – not covered.
11. Round Table – no inputs.
Meeting was adjourned at 9:25 PM. Next Board meeting will be on Thursday August 7, 2014
Respectfully submitted by Pat Michael, Club Secretary