Redwood City Señors Softball Club
Minutes for December 4, 2014 Board of Directors Meeting
The December 2014 meeting was called to order by Dennis Logie, President, at 7:05 PM. Members present: Dennis, Steve Bowerman, Pete Lewis, Pat Michael, Bill Picht, Angelo Rizzato, Hiro Tarumi, and Lee Thompson. Absent member was Dave Reck.
AGENDA ITEMS COVERED:
1. The November 2014 Board Meeting Minutes were approved as submitted. Minutes are sent to all Directors, posted to the website, and sent to Donna O’Farrell for historical recording.
2. The November 2014 Treasurer’s Report was approved as submitted by the Treasurer, Angelo Rizzato. Angelo pointed out the reimbursement of $300 for an erroneous check that was submitted to the Club for $345 to pay 2015 dues. The inventory value, with the purchase of a new pitcher’s screen, is now at $1830.
3. Mike Maguire – Pat briefly mentioned that Mike’s services were well attended by Club members.
4. Fall Night League update – Commissioner Pete Lewis reported that last Monday was the start of the new Drop In format. Twenty players were divided into 2 teams and played one game for more than an hour. The final score in extra innings was a difference of one run. Players signed in as they arrived and 2 volunteers formed the teams. There is still a concern that when the Night League returns to a 4 team format, not enough players will show up for a second game.
5. Board Member Nominees for 2015 – Since there have been no nominations submitted to join the existing Board for 2015, the Board will start the year operating with 8 members. Lee has elected to not return. The deadline to submit nominations was Nov 30.
6. Board Election Procedure – Pat submitted for review the proposed ballot for the election of the 2015 Board. The ballot will be sent to all members along with the Annual Meeting Notice and the Annual Dues Notice.
7. Annual Meeting Notice – Pat submitted for review a letter announcing the Annual Membership Meeting to take place on January 8. The Notice will be sent no later than December 9 and will be accompanied by a reminder that the Annual Membership dues need to be paid before participating in any Club activity.
8. Day Play attendance – Bill reported that the number of players signing up at Day Play has held steady and has averaged about 35 players on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
9. Summer field resurfacing – Redwood City is planning to resurface all the Red Morton fields but the planned start date of June 1 is not definite. Also in question is the type of turf, the downtime for each field, alternative fields the Club can use, and the impact to Club activities such as the Summer Tournament, the 1-Pitch on July 4, and Day Play. Hawes, Hoover, and Highlands in San Carlos are possible options. Because there are so many unknowns and variables, a Task Force was assigned to gather information and report back to the Board. The Task Force is Dennis Logie and Bob Elwood. Each of them has an established close connection with the Redwood City Parks and Recreation Department. Pete will talk to the Highlands Field representative.
10. Summer Tournament – A director is needed to work all the issues for next summer’s Club tournament. If Red Morton is not available, Hawes would be considered for an invitational tournament.
11. Holiday Party update – Pat reported that the party is ready to roll and expects 109 attendees. The party is Dec 6th.
12. Round Table – Lee asked if there is any consideration in doing something together with the Vintage Softball Club in San Jose. It had been looked at before and because the clubs are so different in structure, it was not pursued. Vintage runs a much more competitive league than the Señors but they do have a Fun League on Fridays which we might look into.
Meeting was adjourned at 8:35 PM. Next Board meeting will follow the Annual Membership Meeting on Thursday January 8, 2015.
Respectfully submitted by Pat Michael, Club Secretary