Text Size

September 2013

Redwood City Señors Softball Club

Minutes for September 5, 2013 Board of Directors Meeting

The September 2013 meeting was called to order by Dennis Logie (President) at 7:10 PM. Members present: Dennis, Steve Bowerman, Pete Lewis, Pat Michael, Dave Reck, Angelo Rizzato, and Lee Thompson. Absent: Bob Elwood and Hiro Tarumi. Guest: Dean Perkins

AGENDA ITEMS COVERED:

1. The August Board Meeting Minutes were approved pending a later discussion regarding the proposed mini- tournament. As per Item 8 in these minutes, the term ‘mini tournament’ will be stricken from the August 2013 Minutes. The minutes will be sent to all Directors, Brenda Guzman for the website, and Donna O’Farrell for historical recording.

2. The August 2013 Treasurer’s Report was approved as submitted by Treasurer, Angelo Rizzato. All the accounts are in order including a bounced check fee that was reimbursed to the Club. Angelo would like an inventory be taken on balls and caps that the Club has in storage. Joe Bozzuto for the balls and Glenn Kovas for the caps will be contacted.

3. RC Tournament Report – Dean Perkins, the Tournament Director reported that overall the tournament went well. All the awards have been distributed and paid for, umpires have been compensated, volunteers were given caps, and except for a few issues that occurred, it was a successful tournament. Three teams had to play exhibition because they submitted their rosters too late or they had non-roster players. Dean says we need to make sure we have more volunteers next year. The ones we had worked tirelessly, some of them all day both days, and the Club should recognize them. Dean also expressed a concern that there are too many tournaments that weekend in June and we might consider moving our date to another weekend. Pat asked if we should have our own critique form on the Club website and Dean thought it was a good idea even though NCSSA has one but it is not always available.

4. San Bruno Inter-Club Game – On August 22, Ron Sorg took a Club traveling team to San Bruno for the annual showdown with our northern cousins. The Señors won the game and the 2 teams got together after for a BBQ which was very enjoyable.

5. Fall Night League – There will be 4 teams with 14 players each. The season starts September 9 at Hawes Park. Rich Schaberow, a RWC employee, will maintain the field with the Club compensating him $40 a day. Angelo will ask Rich if he can also operate the scoreboard. The League will continue to use low compression balls. Gordon Bell and Mike McGuire provided balls for the current season but the League will need several dozen more. The Club website is down and when it comes back up, Brenda Guzman will be asked to post a Night League Page to include the schedule, teams, and rules. Players will be reminded that balls hit over the outfield fences will result in 3 consecutive outs for the offending team. Pat will review the 4 rosters to validate all players.

6. Commissioner for Saturday League – Not discussed other than Hiro did a good job last year and hopefully he will do it again.

7. Holiday Party preview - Pat reported that plans for the December 7 party are moving along and The Carvery at Harry’s Hofbrau has agreed to cater the dinner at the same cost as last year.

8. Mini Tournament – Last month’s minutes recorded a mini tournament with the San Bruno and Cupertino teams will be hosted by the Señors Club. After a lengthy discussion, it was decided to drop the term mini tournament and instead the Club will host the 2 outside teams and 2 Club teams for a day of fun softball and lunch on October 30. Bob Cushman will coordinate the event but would like to have a liaison with the Board assigned.

9. Looking Ahead – Dennis will be gone until the end of the year and wants to make sure everything is in order for Officer Nominations and the Annual Meeting. Pat will prepare a draft of a Call for Nominations letter and the Annual Meeting Notice and present them to the Board at the October meeting.

10. Day Play Behavior – Two players from Day Play have been given a formal verbal reprimand for behavior not consistent with the Club’s Code of Conduct. Smoking at the fields was discussed but no one was aware of any rules against it.

11. Wednesday Day Play – Only a handful of players are showing up on Wednesdays and the question was asked if the Club should drop Wednesday softball. It was decided that since the players that do show up are able to have batting practice and seem to enjoy it, let Wednesday’s continue for now.

12. Roundtable – Steve suggested the Club provide a Club hat for every member but after considering the cost involved and whether members want or would wear a Club hat, it was withdrawn. Meeting was adjourned at 9:15 PM.

Next Board meeting is set for Thursday October 3.

Respectfully submitted by Pat Michael, Club Secretary