Text Size

August 2013

Redwood City Señors Softball Club

Minutes for August 1, 2013 Board of Directors Meeting

The August 2013 meeting was called to order by Dennis Logie (President) at 7:05 PM. Members present: Dennis, Steve Bowerman, Pat Michael, Dave Reck, Angelo Rizzato, Hiro Tarumi, and Lee Thompson. Absent: Bob Elwood (arrived late) and Pete Lewis. Guest: John Pinkerton

AGENDA ITEMS COVERED:

1. The July Board Meeting minutes were reviewed and approved. The minutes have been sent to all Directors, Brenda Guzman for the website, and Donna O’Farrell for historical recording.

2. The July 2013 Treasurer’s Report was approved as submitted by Treasurer, Angelo Rizzato. There was more money outgoing than incoming however expenses should level off this month and until December. The Club currently has 285 members including several 80+ members.

3. John Pinkerton approached the Board to solicit support for a new sponsored team that he and Barry Lewis are putting together. The team will be a 65+ and will begin play in the Club’s Saturday League in November. John was told that the main criteria for sponsorship is each player must be a Club member and the team must be willing to provide volunteer help at Club events. John will be given an application to fill out and was excused after the discussion.

4. RWC Tournament – Bob Elwood and Dean Perkins were not present to provide a report however Bob did arrive later but did not have anything to report. Pat suggested we have a critique form on the Club website since NCSSA no longer has one.

5. Altered Bat/Safety Concerns – As a follow up to this agenda item last month, Pete Lewis pre-provided a report on how things are going at the Night League. The concern on a hot bat is gone since a ‘deader’ bat is now being used. The use of lower compression balls is working well and the safety concerns seem to be minimized. The Night League will continue to use the ‘low’ balls for the rest of the season. At the August meeting, Bob Elwood will bring a bat tester so the Board can evaluate on how they want to use it.

6. San Bruno Inter-Club Game – The Club has agreed to accept San Bruno’s invitation to play a game at the San Bruno field on August 22. Ron Sorg will assemble and manage the Señors team.

7. Fall Night League – Pete Lewis pre-provided a report stating the League will be at Hawes Park and will run on Mondays September 9 to February 24 with a break, November 18 to January 6.

8. Board Meeting Calendar – Meeting dates for the rest of the year are: September 5, October 3, November 7, December 5, all Thursdays.

9. San Jose Giants report – Angelo announced that there was an all time high of 60 members and guests that attended this fun event. The food was great, the seats were right behind home plate, and the San Jose Giants won. The Club provided $600 to subsidize this event.

10. Holiday Party preview - Pat provided a report stating this year’s party will be December 7 with a similar venue as last year. Pat solicited donations for the raffle and auction and announced the return of the Marshettes.

11. Proposed Mini Tournament – Bob Cushman had provided a suggestion to have the San Bruno, Cupertino, and RWC Clubs have a mini tournament at the RWC fields in coordination with their respective Parks and Rec Departments. After much discussion concerning the risk of jeopardizing our good relationship with RWC, possibly hurting our recruitment efforts in the long term, and the fact that Cupertino is not at the level of San Bruno or RWC, the suggestion to have a mini tournament was approved but without the involvement of the Parks and Rec Departments. Details to follow.

12. Roundtable
  • Angelo was concerned that John’s new team already had a sponsor and why does he need another one. It was explained that there is precedence for dual sponsorship with the 2 State Roofing teams and since John’s team is new, they will have a large start up cost. Angelo wants the Board to start thinking about the September Night League team selection process.
  • Lee inquired about having more Club spirit at Night Play and in general, and suggested we get organizations like Kaiser involved at events like the July 4 one-pitch.

Meeting was adjourned at 9:15 PM. Next Board meeting is set for Thursday September 5.

Respectfully submitted by Pat Michael, Club Secretary